Thank you. We are so grateful to you for sharing your children with us. We have laughed with them this year, cried with them, hugged them, cheered for them, and watched them each grow another year older and more mature. We get a front row seat to their foibles and successes. We get to hear the funny things they say. Our lives are enriched by their presence as they teach us important lessons about loving one another, tending to one another's hearts, admitting failure, and reveling in victory. We thank you for allowing us the honor of assisting you in this tough job of raising educated, thoughtful humans.
And so here we are...heading into our last week at Camp Shiloh!! We have a fun and celebratory week ahead. Some families may be tempted to pull their kids from school during the last few days, but we want to encourage you not to. Sending the message to your kids that every day counts, no matter what, helps them later in life! When they are teenagers and are tempted to call in sick for work because their shift is so short, they'll remember this lesson. When they are adults and tempted to call in sick for work because they just "aren't feeling it", they'll remember the standards you set for simply showing up. And of course, there is great pride and honor in pushing through to the very end! Watch this great youtube video of a hurdler who literally dives through the finish line. This is how we want to end school--diving through the finish!
Now...we ask you to recall another important goal at Shiloh: growing our students! Our academic math and reading goals in our School Improvement Plan include growing all students at least one year if they are at grade level in the fall and more than a year if they are below grade level in the fall. We've seen TREMENDOUS growth among our students this year and we know that students who do nothing academic in the summer can lose up to 3 months of achievement, starting school in the fall BEHIND where they left off in the spring!
What can you do? Make sure your child READS, READS, READS every. single. day. Just 20 minutes a day of reading yields over 25 HOURS of reading over the course of the summer. Need books? No problem! See below for multiple ways to get books into your kids' hands (spoiler alert: the SHOWmobile will rides again this summer!).
Thank you for scanning the important events listed below and marking your calendars accordingly!
Mrs. Duchow and Mr. Edwards
Important Events and Dates (Please remember to check and subscribe to our online calendar for these important events!)
- Shiloh Field Day: June 10. This is an "oldie but goodie" that Shiloh staff are bringing back for 2019! Please sign up here if you'd like to run a game: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b084cabaa2faafd0-shiloh. Other than the parents who volunteer to run a game, this is not a family event due to the busy-ness of the day.
- Last Day of School: Friday, June 14. School will end at 12 noon that day. Lunch is not served on the last day of school, so please plan accordingly. Report cards will come home on the last day of school as well!
- Summer Free Breakfast/Lunch sites
- NEWTECH Skill Center - Breakfast: 7 to 7:30 AM / Lunch 11:30 to noon (4141 N Regal St, Spokane, WA 99207
- North Spokane Library - Lunch: 11:30 to noon (44 E Hawthorne Rd, Spokane, WA 99218)
- YMCA North - Breakfast: 8:30 to 9 AM / Lunch: 11:45 to 12:15 (10727 N Newport Hwy, Spokane, WA 99218) * All sites closed July 4th and 5th.
- SHOWmobile: The SHOWmobile (Shiloh Hills On Wheels) is a special treat! Once a week, our SHOWmobile, loaded with Shiloh teachers, comes out into the most populated Shiloh neighborhoods and shares books and ice cream treats with our kids. We bring the books, you bring the kids! Kids can read and take books home with them to continue reading through the summer (Remember? 20 minutes a day!). The schedule is as follows:
- Wednesday, June 26: Deer Run Apartments (1:00 - 2:25) and Rosewood Club Apartments (2:35 - 4:00)
- Wednesday, July 10: The Grove Apartments (formerly Hill n Dale Apartments, 1:00 - 2:25) and Friendship Park** (new stop this year! 2:35 - 4:00)
- Wednesday, July 17: Deer Run Apartments (1:00 - 2:25) and Rosewood Club Apartments (2:35 - 4:00)
- Wednesday, July 24: The Grove Apartments (1:00 - 2:25) and Friendship Park (2:35 - 4:00)
- Wednesday, July 31: Deer Run Apartments (1:00 - 2:25) and Rosewood Club Apartments (2:35 - 4:00)
- Wednesday, August 7: The Grove Apartments (1:00 - 2:25) and Friendship Park (2:35 - 4:00)
- Wednesday, August 14: Deer Run Apartments (1:00 - 2:25) and Rosewood Club Apartments (2:35 - 4:00)
- **Friendship Park is not technically in Shiloh's attendance area, however we recognize that a lot of our children play at this park and therefore we decided to make it a stop!
- More summer reading resources! As of the writing of these Eagle Updates, the dates on this Mead Web Page had not been updated...but the links to reading and learning activities are still good. Check them out!
- Shiloh Hills Grand Opening and PTSO Ice Cream Social: Tuesday, August 27, 6 - 7:30 pm, NEW Shiloh! 505 E. Stonewall Avenue. Come see the beautiful new Shiloh and find out who your child's teacher is. See the classroom, get a free backpack if you need one, and have an ice cream treat compliments of our PTSO. You can also learn more about what it means to be a Title 1 School and learn about all of the additional academic supports that Title 1 affords your child.
- Kindergarten Pizza Social: Wednesday, August 28, evening (specific time TBA). Let's face it! Kindergarten is a HUGE transition! Let's make it easier on our kids. This is a NEW, special, Kindergarten-only event...for Kindergarteners and their parents only. Our Kindergarten teachers would like to offer this opportunity for our littlest Shiloh Eagles to have an introduction to the school without the confusion of all of the other 500 kids in the school and their parents. Stay tuned for more information!
- School Starts for Grades 1 - 6: Tuesday, September 3, 9:10 am
- School starts for Kindergarten: Friday, September 6, 9:10 am